Brave American service members display their dedication and passion for our country year after year by risking their lives defending its land and freedoms. Formerly known as Decoration Day, on May 30, 1868, people decorated the graves of the Civil War soldiers buried at Arlington National Cemetery to honor their ultimate sacrifices.
This Memorial Day, we continue to pay our respects and remember the courageous service members who gave their lives for our country. Here are a few ways you and your loved ones can honor our heroes:
- Display the flag at half staff from dawn until noon
- Join the national moment of silence at 3 p.m.
- Wear red poppies to honor those who died serving our country during wartime
- Proudly wear your red, white, and blue
- Attend a Memorial Day parade